Thursday, April 21, 2005

NY revisited

I'm back home after a wonderful 6 days in NY. We had such fun. I'll try to pick up from my last post which was us getting ready to meet friends at cafe Luxembourg. It was wonderful! The food was fantastic - had these tasty little artichokes with an olive tapenade to start and then chicken for dinner. It was great to see our friends! We left close to 1am and headed back to the hotel. Luckily, we were able to sleep in on Saturday before we headed down to SoHo. Lunch at Mercer Kitchen at 2pm and a star sighting (Robin Williams - just my luck - the one star i see is a local star to me! I see him all the time in SF) - 2 glasses of wine - a cocktail for rich and a delicious lunch was a great start to the day. We headed off to do a little shopping - louis vuitton - armani casa - banana republic - etc - stopped to check out some of the stuff the sidewalk sellers were offering (nothing of note) - and just genuinely enjoyed the day.

We initially stopped by louis vuitton because i wanted to pick up a darling pink vernis key case - unfortunately they were sold out. Sadly, we made our way upstairs - i was bummed out they didn't have the piece in stock - when we ran into the darling girl who always helps us when we come in and she ushered me over to the jewelry case. I've been loving this one ring they have - but when she showed me the earrings - i was floored. They were gorgeous! Long and dangling - white and yellow gold - tiny oblong pearls - and miniature charms matching the LV logo. I had to try them on. I knew i was in trouble when i tried on the first. I then put on the second and fell in love. They were perfect. They were art. I had to have them. Truly - they needed to come home with me. Oh dammit. They're entirely too expensive. So conflicted. I can handle spending thousands on art or something more tangible than earrings. But these are definitely an investment - i would have them forever. So we put them on hold. Rich thought i should get them - as did i - but i was having trouble with the cost - not financially - that wasn't an issue - it was the idea of spending that much on earrings. We nearly went back to pick them up - but instead decided to wait - sleep on it - and go back sunday. We spent the rest of the day - wandering in and out of stores - people watching and enjoying the day.

We headed back to the hotel around 7ish - i was very tired - and needed to nap. We had plans to go to sushi that night and then come back and watch a movie. The nap lasted a little longer than planned and by the time we were ready for dinner - we decided against sushi which opened the door for numerous possibilities. The thing that is wrong with numerous possibilities is that sometimes you can't narrow it down to a select few. We went back and forth - unable to decide. By the time we decided on mexican - all the places we wanted to go to were closed. So rich ended up picking up take out from smith & wollenski's. It was great. The movie, on the other hand, was a david lynch film, which essentially means bizarre and disjointed and confusing. Mulholland Drive was no exception. We both crashed and fell asleep in the middle.

Sunday we slept in again (yay) and then met his sister and her boyfriend for brunch after we checked out. Brunch was fun - great omelet. We all headed to a pet store after - they had 2 month old puppies - lhasa apsa's, shitsu's, and chihuahuas. The chihuahua was the most darling little thing i'd ever seen. She was chocolate brown with the sweetest little face and the most mellow demeanor. I held her for a while - as well as the shitsu. So darling. I almost bought that precious little chihuahua - half the price of those earring (HA!!). I really wanted her - she was adorable. I think i would have named her cocoa. Sweet. In the middle of all of this - the heel on my mule breaks and we decide to head back to the apt before going back to SoHo. So after the puppy handling - we head to rich's - and end up watching a movie rather than run back down to SoHo. The movie - 'who dares wins' - was fantastic. Old school drama/thriller with lots of amazing action scenes. We had 9pm reservations at balthazar - and it delivered as it usually does. A wonderful bottle of wine - french onion soup - escargot - skate and duck confit - the crowd was the usual - see and be see scene - and i think when we got there i had a b-list celeb sighting - rich couldn't confirm it was her - but i think we saw stephanie march who played the DA on law & order a few years back. She looked gorgeous. We took a walk after dinner - down broadway and then hailed a cab back to the apt.

Monday was back to work - lots of deals - but i ended up staying at the apt rather than go in - the construction wasn't complete and i'd get more work done without the fumes from the paint giving me a massive headache. I was looking for a place to plug my computer in - and the one i found gave me few seating options. So, while clearing off a chair to get to work, i hung up his jacket that was on the chair - which led me to hanging up other things - and then more and more - and suddenly - i'm organizing his apt. I completely thought he was going to be upset with me - i know men have a method to their madness - and i didn't want to disrupt that. But i couldn't stop - haha - by the time he got home - i had cleaned and organized his bathroom, living room and his bedroom. When he walked in - i was so hoping he would be happy with it. And he was. He was thrilled actually. We hung out for a bit and then went to dinner at york. It was wonderful - the windows were open because of the mini heat wave hitting NY - and we sat and laughed and had a wonderful dinner. No dessert for us - stuffed from dinner we headed home.

I was supposed to leave on tuesday - head back to SF - but i had several deals closing on wednesday that i wouldn't be able to cover off completely if i left mid-day on tuesday. So on tuesday morning - i made a quick call to my director - and let him know i would be prolonging my trip - no issues. I changed my flight - called rich and told him the news. I headed over to rich's office for lunch with his sister and dad - we went to the brooklyn diner. It was fun. Afterwards - i headed back to the office - to finish up the deals i was closing. I left around 5:30 - headed back to rich's - where we all piled in the car and went to pick up rich's mom. After getting dropped off at the apt - rich and i relaxed and made plans for dinner. Rosa Mexicana was awesome! Great food - fun ambiance - wonderful sangria. We sat next to 2 older couples who either had ties or lived in SF - i couldn't tell without obviously eavesdropping. But they definitely had a strong connection to SF - as they knew different areas (marina ((where i live)) - pacific heights - etc) i think maybe their children may have lived there. One thing i did pick up on was that one of their son in law's was just fired from his 6M a year job. Ouch.

Anyway - monday was quick - a little shopping - a little lunch - and a long goodbye to rich. I hate leaving. It's so tough. But every time i go - i know that more and more it's where i should be.

Have to go - dinner calls - meow - K

No comments: